Saturday, March 16, 2019

Virtual Reality

Alternative Ways to Bring Comfort, Reduce Pain and Take Away Anxiety During End of Life

Bringing new and innovative ways of caring for your loved one during their last chapter. 

I recently spoke with the Director of a Hospice located in England. I was so excited to speak with her as I've recently purchased an Oculas Virtual Reality Headset and I wanted to see how others may be incorporating this into Hospice care. 

There are trials and studies presently active to determine how virtual reality can help reduce chronic pain and anxiety for some patients. I will certainly keep you updated with any of the studies I find. 

Virtual Reality is being leveraged as an alternative therapy to help keep patients comfortable, calm and mentally engaged. I am excited to bring this into my practice in working with individuals, both senior and heading toward the end of life. 

This is a unique opportunity for patients and their families. One of the services I offer is help in fulfilling a bucket list. There are times when it is impossible for a person to do this depending on where they are on their individual timeline. Touring the Grand Canyon may not be an option. If it is, believe me, my ticket is already purchased! If not, we will tour the Grand Canyon virtually, and go on this trip remotely! Traveling to a remote destination right from your living room can do wonders! 

I certainly don't consider this an avenue a way to take away your symptoms, however, I truly believe that this tool can be utilized as an adjunct to other techniques brought in to help ease a person's life. Even if brings more smiles, stimulates your mind and takes you away for a brief moment in time, who could ask for more. 


No comments:

Post a Comment